Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Happy 20th Wedding Anniversary!

Yes its been a massive 20 years!
Wow - we made it...as I sit here typing, both hubby and baby girl are stuck in bed shivering with high temps and lethargic and totally feeling like shit and I am staying far away so that I do not catch anything before my big function on the weekend..
Very selfish, but needed - I just cannot afford to be ill.

Husband has had a very rough trot over the last few years - he seems to get out of one thing and then something else happens.He has been off work for over three months with a shoulder injury suffering from pain every day.

At least we are not looking down the barrel of something worse - we faced that little saga a few years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. But he sorted that one out...and he will get through this new set back too. It just takes time.

I have not held down a proper job in years having my own issues with neck problems, so fair is fair - now its his turn to be sick and needing recovery time and for me to shut up and be supportive.

But, it goes to show we are getting older and less flexible and healthy and priorities are changing as we cling to some sort of quality of life over quantity.

Its just not about stuff and accumulation - I will leave that up to the kids to do - that is their cycle - for us its about trying to get quality and comfort from what we have without busting a gut to get anymore.

It is only a blink of an eye and we will be sitting in some nursing home ourselves, wandering what the hell we are doing there and who the hell are all of the strange people around us.....

I am eternally grateful to my husband for his support over the past 24 years of our relationship - we have had many ups and downs. I admit to having my own very personal set of "issues"...things that I contend with on a daily basis sometimes.

And he has put up with it all - all of my wierd ideas and strange requests, my years of excessive working trying to make ends meet with three jobs at a time, my guilt for not ever feeling like I have done enough, my vain attempts at making my life successful in some valid way, my taking on so many different jobs and ideas and saying that "this is going to work - this time ". Now, one of the biggest changes of all with taking on a business in such an obscure area and working at it for sometimes 12 hours a day and yet not bringing in a red cent to keep the boat afloat...
this man is a saint..
and I am so grateful that he is my saint...
Sorry, my love, for all of my insanity over the last 20 years. If you had put a pillow over my head at some stage in the first few years of our relationship you would have done your time twice over and be out of jail...but you have managed to put up with it all and can still make me laugh until I cry.
Just get well my dear and stay well...I need your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sticks and Stones may break my bones.....