Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tragedy for Poland

I was shocked by the news of the plane crash that happened yesterday, killing the President and his wife and many Polish officials who were all travelling on the same plane. What a tragedy for the country and for the families of those involved.
This is something that would have rocked the nation - this accident has affected many spheres of government, industry and military.
My daughter, who lives in Melbourne texted me yesterday telling me "how awful what has happened". I did not know at that point what she was talking about.......she had seen it on Facebook....it had just happened, so I called hubby and asked whether anything had been said on TV. It hadnt yet, but he went on the news links on the computer and confirmed what my daughter had said.
There is something a bit weird about getting info that fast - it would be totally awful to find out about the death of a loved one that way. I feel for the parents who have lost children and find out about it because of impersonal facebook entries..........it just seems so cold and so distant......there is no privacy, no respect, everything is just a piece of instant news fit to be forgotten in a minute. It is instant gratification and sensationalism to which we are now totally desensitised...what in the hell makes us really sad or moved or shocked anymore...is there anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sticks and Stones may break my bones.....