Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mary McKillop Day

Today, 8th August, is Mary McKillop Day. I guess the only positive thing I have seen in this papacy is the fact that they finally agreed to make her a saint, although I dont know if that terminology sits well with me. Maybe "saint like" or "saintly"? I am sure she would have not wanted this title, nor was she looking for it. Mary spent most of her time being excommunicated and fighting the higher church powers. Naughty, feisty Mary...
and as much as the mantle she wears is a Christian one she has been close to my heart for over 23 years which is about the time she first entered my life. So she has come along for the ride at Sacred Elements and is a patron - we honour her strength and her determination and her willingness to serve.
Mary reminds me of a nun that taught me in high school - her name is Sister Mary Ellen ( or hairy melon ). She was our class teacher for 3 years and very un - nunlike...stacks of fun - I imagine Mary McKillop to have been much like Mary Ellen. Blessings to you Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sticks and Stones may break my bones.....